Expressing non-source dependency for a VPATH build

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Expressing non-source dependency for a VPATH build
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:59:36 -0600

Hi all,

I've got an autotooled project which I can successfully
configure/build using something like ../project/configure && make.  Is
there some way to express a non-source dependency so that it gets
"picked up" in a VPATH build?  Maybe symlinked?

Specifically, I've got a log4cxx.properties file used by my 'make
check' tests.  If I run 'make check' in a non-VPATH build the
log4cxx.properties file is present and my tests output correctly.
However, when I run 'make check' in a VPATH build my tests cannot find
log4cxx.properties (its in the source tree, not the build tree) and
they don't operate the way I'd like.

Any help appreciated,
Rhys