Re: Destination directory for object files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Destination directory for object files
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:07:59 +0100

Hello Jeff,

* Jeff Ward wrote on Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:58:37PM CET:
> I have an automake project setup but I would like the object files to be
> placed in a specified directory.  For example:
>
> Foo/Foo.cpp
> Foo/obj
> Foo/Makefile.am
>
> I would like to have the Foo.o in the obj directory after compilation
> and not in directory Foo.  Is this possible?  If so how do I go about
> setting that up?   This would really cleanup my directory.

Do not use a directory named "obj",
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/obj_002f-and-Make.html>

Get to know how VPATH builds work:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/VPATH-Builds.html>
They achieve something similar to what you want and are much more
flexible in practice.

Hope that helps.