Re: automake less verbose branch

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake less verbose branch
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 10:07:06 +0100

* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 07:17:03PM CET:
> On Saturday 2009-03-07 16:16, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >It would be *great* if you (or whoever wants to) could test it, play
> >around with it, use it on various packages, and ideally also on
> >different systems and make implementations if possible.  Every bit
> >helps.
>
> I am missing the definition of am__v_GEN in the generated Makefile
> that is designed for use with manual rules. Like,
>
>       # -*- Makefile -*-
>
>       man8_MANS = foo.8
>
>       foo.8: foo.8.in
>               ${am__v_GEN}man -l foo.8.in >$@

Good point; thanks.  The user extensibility should be documented, too.
So far, the only extensibility I've put in was in tests/silent6.test,
but it's a good idea to have automake add a documented variable.

And those variables should not be in the am__ namespace.  Hmm, I think
that means those variables appearing directly in %VERBOSE% should not be
in that space either.

Will fix.