Re: "required file `./ltmain.sh' not found" ?

From: Jules Colding
Subject: Re: "required file `./ltmain.sh' not found" ?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:22:59 +0100

Hi Ralf,

On 08/03/2009, at 11.00, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Jules,

thanks for the report.

* Jules Colding wrote on Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:31:31PM CET:
I'm trying to fix a script which checks out a subversion repository
and builds it. Unfortunately I get this:

OK, an update. I actually have to execute autoreconf twice before it
works, manually or otherwise. I've pasted the output in below.

address@hidden ~/work/src/42tools/rubicon-1.0/install/Julia.build/ lorica
$ autoreconf --warnings=all --force --verbose --install

autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
[...]
autoreconf: running: glibtoolize --copy --force
glibtoolize: putting macros in `m4'.
[ ... does not add ltmain.sh ]
autoreconf: running: /opt/local/bin/autoconf --force --warnings=all
[...]
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing --warnings=all
configure.ac:58: installing `./config.guess'
configure.ac:58: installing `./config.sub'
configure.ac:27: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac:58: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
configure.ac:27: installing `./missing'
src/OCI/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

but rerunning the same does cause glibtoolize to add ltmain.sh:

Yes.

address@hidden ~/work/src/42tools/rubicon-1.0/install/Julia.build/ lorica
$ autoreconf --warnings=all --force --verbose --install
[...]
autoreconf: running: glibtoolize --copy --force
glibtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
glibtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
glibtoolize: putting macros in `m4'.
glibtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'

Looks like a likely Libtool issue to me; but could also be a thinko in
autoreconf. Which Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool versions do you use,

address@hidden ~ $ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63
<http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
address@hidden ~ $ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.10.2
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html >

Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden>.
address@hidden ~ $ glibtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 2.2.6
Written by Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden>, 1996

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
address@hidden ~ $

and I suppose I should be able to reproduce this issue with the svn tree
from 42tools.com/home/svn/lorica/trunk?

Yes, you should. At least on my box.. The svn tree is here:

http://svn.42tools.net/repos/lorica/trunk/

Please note that the bootstrap script now runs autoreconf twice as a workaround. Also, I can give you an account on my box if you sends me your public key.

Thanks,
  jules