Does using automake+autoconf require my project to be GPL'ed?

From: almkglor
Subject: Does using automake+autoconf require my project to be GPL'ed?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 06:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello world,

I'm building an open-source project that is currently under a permissive MIT
license.  Since the project is getting complex, I'm thinking of using
Automake+Autoconf to help handle portability.

What I'd like to know is, does using Automake+Autoconf require me to license
distributions built using them with the GPL?

>From what I could glean, it's not necessary, provided I write my own
"missing.sh".  The other files auto-produced by `automake --foreign
--add-missing' seem to have a clause saying something about distributing
them under a different license.

I'd just like confirmation, because I've tried searching "automake license",
"autoconf license", "autoconf permissive license" etc. and can't find a
definitive "You must absolutely use GPL for your package" or "You can use
any license for your package" or "You can use any GPL-compatible license for
your package".

While GPL is OK by me, it might not be as popular among other developers. ^^