Fwd: "make test" not making what's tested

From: John Wohlbier
Subject: Fwd: "make test" not making what's tested
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:08:47 -0600

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:58 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a simple project that builds a C program in the top level
> directory, and a series of shell scripts to test this program in a
> 'tests' subdirectory.  If I run "./configure; make; make check",
> everything works as expected, but if I run "./configure; make check"
> from a just cleaned top level directory, the program to be tested
> doesn't get built prior to running the tests.
>
> I've tried adding "check" and "check-TESTS" targets that do an
> explicit "make all" to Makefile.am and tests/Makefile.am, but in
> addition to looking a bit dodgy, these rules don't get run.  What's
> the recommended way of accomplishing this?
>
> If it matters, I'm using automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1 and autoconf
> (GNU Autoconf) 2.63 as distributed with Fedora release 10.

(oops, sent this to the poster rather than the list)

I'll be interested to hear what the experts say, but I do the following. In
my library Makefile.am I have

check-local :
    -cd test; make; make check

clean-local :
    cd test; make clean

and in the Makefile.am within test I have bascially what appears in the
manual.

jgw