Re: "make test" not making what's tested

From: Alan D. Salewski
Subject: Re: "make test" not making what's tested
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:34:30 -0400

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:58:20AM -0400, address@hidden spake thus:
> I have a simple project that builds a C program in the top level
> directory, and a series of shell scripts to test this program in a
> 'tests' subdirectory.  If I run "./configure; make; make check",
> everything works as expected, but if I run "./configure; make check"
> from a just cleaned top level directory, the program to be tested
> doesn't get built prior to running the tests.

Hi kodis,

In your top-level Makefile.am, simply change the ordering of the
directories in SUBDIRS to have the top-level directory build first.

I suspect that it currently looks something like this:

    SUBDIRS = tests .
or

    SUBDIRS = tests

(the first is simply a more explicit version of the second). You would
want to change it so that '.' comes before 'tests':

    SUBDIRS = . tests

HTH,
-Al

--