Re: Enhancing nobase_

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Enhancing nobase_
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:05:01 +0100

Le 19 mars 09 à 14:53, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

Akim Demaille wrote:
Hi autofriends!
nobase_ is really a nice feature to cope with a structured hierarchy of files. But it does not work well with packages that avoid recursive Makefiles. In my case for instance, my package has a hierarchy of files in $(top_srcdir)/include, but it has no include/Makefile.am, just $(top_srcdir)/Makefile.am, so I cannot use nobase_include_HEADERS, I have to declare a bazillion of include subdirs.

Hmm? I don't understand.

nobase_include_HEADERS = foo/far/faz.h
nobase_include_HEADERS += boo/bar/baz.h

just works.

Sorry I was unclear :(  My examples meant to make it clearer.

My top Makefile.am cannot use nobase_, because it would look like

nobase_include_HEADERS = include/foo.hh include/foo/bar.hh include/foo/ baz.hh

which would result in

        /usr/local/include/include/foo.hh
        /usr/local/include/include/foo/bar.hh
        /usr/local/include/include/foo/baz.hh

which is not what I wanted (include/include). The problem of nobase is that it forces the path inside the package to be exactly the path in DESTDIR. I'm saying that it would be nice to have include_BASE or whatever be the prefix of the paths in the packages compared to the path in DESTDIR. In my example, the include_BASE is include/, because that's where all my headers are. Yet make install must ignore that include/ prefix in DESTDIR, as it's already part of includedir.

With this explanation, maybe my initial message is now more understandable :(