Re: Troubles with conditional adding files to library

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Re: Troubles with conditional adding files to library
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:48:38 -0400

On Friday 27 March 2009 12:38:16 am Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Gerald I. Evenden" <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Thursday 26 March 2009 10:26:13 pm Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> However, more fundamentally, you're reinventing AC_REPLACE_FUNC, which
> >> you probably don't want to do.  Check the Autoconf manual for
> >> AC_REPLACE_FUNC, which does exactly what you're trying to do, even down
> >> to how it adds additional source files to a variable that you can use
> >> in Makefile.am.
> >
> > I had seen it but, again, I was unsure how it was going to work.  I will
> > reread.
>
> AC_REPLACE_FUNC([strcasecmp]) checks whether strcasecmp exists on the
> system and, if not, adds it to LIBOBJS and LTLIBOBJS, which you can then
> refer to in Makefile.am.  In this case, you'd normally do something like:
>
> libproject_la_LIBADD = $(LTLIBOBJS)
>
> On systems without strcasecmp, the build system will then try to find a
> strcasecmp.c file, compile it, and include it in libproject.la.

Sounds great, so I modified my configure.ac to:
AC_FUNC_MALLOC
AC_FUNC_STRTOD
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([floor modf pow sqrt strchr strpbrk strspn strtol])
AC_REPLACE_FUNCS(strcasecmp strncasecmp)
(The only added line was the last one) and added this to Makefile.am
libproject_la_LIBADD = $(LTLIBOBJS)

Then I ran autoconfig followed by "autoconfig -vfi" and got messages:
configure.ac:34: required file `src/malloc.c' not found
configure.ac:34: required file `src/strtod.c' not found
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

I commented out AC_FUNC_MALLOC/STRTOD and then everything went to completion.

Any suggestions.

Note: the AC_FUNC_MALLOC and STRTOD were lines were from by autoscan's file
autoconf.scan

Thanks.

Getting closer but not quite there yet.  ;-)