Re: Dealing with .asm files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Dealing with .asm files
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:50:29 +0200

Hello Robert,

* Robert Homann wrote on Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:21:42PM CEST:

> Duplicating rules seemed all wrong to me, so I tried adding '.asm' right
> after '.s' to the corresponding register_language() call in automake
> instead, and it just worked then.
>
> Now, would it hurt to add this extension to regular Automake?

The .asm extension is not supported by GCC, whereas .s and .S are, so
the default for CCAS=$CC as set by AM_PROG_AS will not do the right
thing for GCC.  If GCC were changed to accept it, the situation changes,
but as things are now, at least AM_PROG_AS would need changing too, and
as soon as you'll allow both .s/.S and .asm within the same project then
.asm will need to be another, different language with a different
compiler and variables etc., I guess.