aclocal problems

From: John Calcote
Subject: aclocal problems
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:33:40 -0600

Automake maintainers,

On page 158, paragraph 3 of the 2.63 Autoconf manual, it states:

"If a macro doesn’t use AC_REQUIRE, is expected to never be the object of an AC_REQUIRE directive, and macros required by other macros inside arguments do not need to be expanded before this macro, then use m4_define."

So the Autoconf manual is encouraging users to use m4_define, however, when I define a macro using m4_define in a .m4 file in the m4 directory of my project, aclocal ignores it by not m4_including it in the generated aclocal.m4 file. It appears to require the use of AC_DEFUN, rather than m4_define in stand-alone .m4 files.

Is this a bug in aclocal?

I'm using the latest beta version of Automake - 1.10b.

Thanks in advance,
John