RE: installing a whole directory

From: Laura Hughes (lahughes)
Subject: RE: installing a whole directory
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:08:58 -0700

Lorenzo,

There may be a better way to do it so I'm looking forward to hearing how
others did this, but I did this by creating an install hook like this:

Makefile.am:
~snip other stuff ~
EXTRA_INSTALL = <list of files>
install_dir = <where everything is to be installed>
help_dir = <where help files go>
include ../../install-hook.in

../../install-hook.in:
# This hook will install any other unusual files such as scripts.
# Add in: EXTRA_INSTALL = <your list of files>
#
install-exec-hook:
        (mkdir -p $(install_dir) ;              \
        echo "DESTDIR IS $(DESTDIR)";           \
        for p in $(PROGRAMS); do                \
                $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$p $(install_dir);\
        done;                                   \
        for p in $(EXTRA_INSTALL); do           \
                $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$p $(install_dir);\
        done)

install-data-hook:
        (mkdir -p $(help_dir) ; \