Re: How to pass parameters to test program

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to pass parameters to test program
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:25:31 +0200

Hello Dmitry,

* Dmitry V. Krivenok wrote on Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:18:25PM CEST:

> I implemented some tests for my library using Boost.Test.
> Resulting test executable works fine.
> It's automatically executed when I run "make check".

Does it use the "simple Automake tests" test driver that is invoked when
the TESTS variable is set?

> The problem is that I want to pass parameters (--report_level=detailed
> --log_level=all) to my test program via command line.
> How can I specify parameters to be passed to test executable during
> "make check"?
> Is it possible at all?

With Automake 1.10.2, it is possible but only through a kludge.
For example:

--- test-driver ---
#! /bin/sh
exec $1 --report_level=detailed --log_level=all

--- Makefile.am ---
# hack: put a driver right before the test name.
TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = ./test-driver

TESTS = prog1 ...
---

With the 'parallel-tests' driver in upcoming Automake 1.11, it will at
least be possible not use the TESTS_ENVIRONMENT variable (which is
indented to be a user variable), but a LOG_COMPILER variable (or
FOO_LOG_COMPILER for tests with known extension .foo) for this same
hack.  We still don't support passing arguments; I'm wondering whether
we should, and what to name the respective variables, and how to allow
to per-target'ify them.