Re: DESTDIR vs `make install exec_prefix='

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs `make install exec_prefix='
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:45:03 -0600

On 4/18/2009 2:32 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Saturday 2009-04-18 22:06, Russ Allbery wrote:
Russ Allbery<address@hidden>  writes:
Ralf Wildenhues<address@hidden>  writes:
[1] I'm asking because Automake 1.11 will reliably not install files if
their respective installation directory is empty.  This is not yet
functional in Automake 1.10.2.  The test for emptiness in 1.11 will not
consider $(DESTDIR) of course, only $(bindir) etc.
I must have misunderstood this, since it sounds like it would potentially
break any system where each binary package is installed into a separate
tree.  For example, stow packages are routinely installed with:

     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
     make
     make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/package-version

DESTDIR cannot easily be used here because the stow layout should have
simple bin, etc, lib, etc. directories directly under that directory, not
with an extra /usr/local in the way.
Oh, you mean if the value of the *variable* is empty (following the
thread), not the directory itself.  D'oh, sorry, that should have been
obvious to me from context.  Never mind.  :)

No, I also thought of empty directories. Quote from above: "respective
installation directory is empty.". But the puzzling thing was that
when using DESTDIR=$foo, $foo would normally be empty anyways
(in automated build systems like lbuild/koji/etc.)
I'm sure he meant "...respective installation directory *variable* is empty.". Doing anything based on whether the directory itself was empty is meaningless, because the maintainer may have chosen to use the pkglib directory, for example, in which case, it will almost always be empty before you install - even to standard places - unless you're overwriting a previous installation, that is.

John