Re: Automatic debug symbol generation

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: Automatic debug symbol generation
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:39:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday 2009-04-22 07:33, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>* JRS wrote on Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:02:55AM CEST:
>> I was setting up build infrastructure once again when it occurred to
>> me, hmm, wouldn't it be nice if automake had default targets for
>> installing symbols?
>>
>> For example, make install-syms could do objcopy --only-keep-debug on
>> the binaries and libraries, and put the .debug files in
>> /usr/lib/debug.
>
>What's the advantage over just installing binaries into $(bindir)
>without stripping them?

I agree here. Moving the debug info into a separate file is what I
only expect for a distribution's binary packages. And their
respective build systems will DTRT to produce extra packages with
said debug info. For example, lbuild/rpm on openSUSE is configured to
strip foo's debug data and emit it into separate foo-debuginfo and
foo-debugsource packages. foo can remain stripped for those not
wishing to install debug info, but I do not see this separation being
needed with manual installations.