Re: suggestions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: suggestions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:34:07 +0200

Braden McDaniel wrote:
 >>> But you really should just use pkg-config instead.

I actually use pkg-config for my library; but boost libraries don't come
with a pkg-config .pc file unfortunately :-(

or did you mean something else?

As long as Boost isn't providing pkg-config metadata, you can simply refer directly to the Boost libraries you need in -l flags in your .pc file's Libs (or Libs.private).

I think I solved the problem by putting boost library and header commands into Cflags and Libs.

the problem with this approach is that it does not check for boost libraries. However, these libraries must be present anyway if one built my library. The problem can still be there if one installed a binary package of the library in a system without dependence checking, but I think this is rare, isn't it?

One thing that still troubles me is that if I put library flags into Libs.private, these will show up only if pkg-config is invoked with --static (when building static libraries); however, this flag is not automatically detected if configure is invoked with --disable-share or -all-static in LDFLAGS, am I right?

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net