Re: whitespaces truncated [Automake 1.10b test release]

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: whitespaces truncated [Automake 1.10b test release]
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:36:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday 2009-03-31 01:21, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>I'm pleased to announce the Automake 1.10b test release.  It contains
>a bunch of new features, and a bunch of bugfixes over previous versions,
>and probably a bunch of new bugs.  Highlights, in no particular order:
>[...]

As silent-rules stand now, I am getting:

$ make
 CC  foo.o
 CXX  bar.o
 CXXLD  prog
$ grep CXX_0 Makefile.in
am__v_CXX_0 = @echo " CXX " $@;

Expected result would have been:

$ make
  CC     foo.o
  CXX    bar.o
  CXXLD  prog
$ grep CXX_0 Makefile.in
am__v_CXX_0 = @echo "  CXX   " $@;

automake.in seems to do it correctly in the initial call:

verbose_var ($name, '@echo "  '. $name . ' ' x (6 - length ($name)) . '" $@;');

but then all the whitespaces are collapsed later on it seems. Well,
in this specific case, they should not be.