Re: [patch] restore original spacing width for verbose mode

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [patch] restore original spacing width for verbose mode
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 19:23:40 +0200

Hello Jan,

* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Fri, May 01, 2009 at 06:46:42PM CEST:
> On Friday 2009-05-01 09:57, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:05:07PM CEST:
> >> Output seems crushed, so restore the original behavior.
> >
> >Can you explain this, please?
>
> The original submission I did around October 2008 followed the
> Linux-style output, which happens to match /^ {2}.{7} .*/:
>
>   CC      init/main.o
>
> However with the reworking of the silent-rules patches, the
> resulting output turned to /^ {2}.{6} .*/, which is not what
> I had in mind, even if the longest string is currently OBJCLD.

But that's not a good reason to change.  "Just because others do
it like this" is never a good reason to do paint a shed in a
different tone, neither is "my original submission did this";
if we repaint it, it should be distinctly greener.

Here's a reason against moving the CC and the object file farther
apart: with several languages, lots of sources,
  CC      foo.o
  FC      bar.o
  CC      baz.o

it is less easy to see at a glance which compiler corresponds to
which object file, the further apart they are.  So let's not move
them further apart than necessary.