Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 14:40:41 -0400

On Sunday 03 May 2009 1:02:54 pm Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Sunday 2009-05-03 18:58, John Calcote wrote:
> >It appears that Libtool is smart enough to detect ridiculous cases, but it
> >should probably throw an error of some sort, rather than simply generate
> >code with a different version number.
>
> Since libtool is "just" a linker as far as is considered here,
> it has no knowledge of whether you added, remove, or abi/api-changed
> something.
>
> Of course 3:0:5 is ridiculous. You cannot have a version 3 library
> that supports the last 5 AXI versions. (If it were, then it
                                           ^-- ???
> would be possible to have a minus-1, minus-2 library version,
> but that is not plausible and hence contradicts 3:0:5.

I want to thank you all for the assistance, however I still find the libtool
manual not very illuminating.  In particular, I used section 7.3 in make my
release number and, in particular, item 5 related to adding an interface
since last release as causing an addition to "age."

The big problem here is the three number do not seem independent, which
compounds the problem.  Perhaps item 3 was what should have changes but item
5 clause was also true.

What I did to the library was add several procedures but the original
functions were not changed nor affected.  To me that affected item 5
or "age."  I was afraid that changing "revision" would negate previous
linkages and necessitate redoing application linkage---which was unnecessary
as none of the code they used was altered (as least as far as entry)

You all seem to be indicating that "age" is superfluous.