binary distribution build with automake

From: Andreas Otto
Subject: binary distribution build with automake
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:28:16 +0200

Hi,

  I missing one target in automake to create a binary distribution

Reason:

        1. the default prefix is "/usr/local" -> thats ok
        2. this prefix is required for libraray "rpath" feature -> thats ok
        3. to buid and install a sw in "/usr/local" is a problem because it
                belons to "root" and not to the "user" ans should not be
                used in "normal" sw development

what I want

        1. a new target "binary-dist"
        2. to create a binary distribution:
                "$(PACKAGE)-$(PACKAGE_VERSION)-$(build).tar.gz"
                -> I choose "build" as hw/os identification string
        3. able to use "--prefix" as system-directory !without!
                installation requirement

mfg

  Andreas Otto