Re: My project can't use `silent-rules'

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: My project can't use `silent-rules'
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:30:41 -0600

Hi Bob,

On 5/17/2009 11:05 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

You can use
 AM_SILENT_RULES

Worked! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it does not silence the warnings from my code.

Forgive me, but do you really want it to do this?

Of course, if you want to permanently silence warnings from your code, you should probably just use appropriate pragmas or command-line options to disable those warnings.

One of the primary reasons (IMHO) for Automake silent rules is so that I CAN see the warnings in my code (without resorting to redirecting make's stdout to /dev/null, that is). At least, that's one reason why, for several years now, I've advocated an Autotools option for silent builds.

Regards,
John