create symlinks during install

From: Jon Dufresne
Subject: create symlinks during install
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:06:32 -0700

I am currently writing a program that uses automake and I would like
to create symlinks when the program is installed. Much like the way
busybox or git creates many symlinks that point to one binary, I would
like to do the same.

Is there a correct way to do this? I tried the following:

install-exec-hook:
        $(LN_S) -f foo $(bindir)/bar
        $(LN_S) -f foo $(bindir)/baz

But a "make distcheck" fails with the following:

ln -s -f foo /home/jon/devel/foor/foo-0.1.0/_inst/bin/bar
ln: cannot remove `/home/jon/devel/foo/foo-0.1.0/_inst/bin/bar':
Permission denied
make[3]: *** [install-exec-hook] Error 1

Any advice on how to do this?

Regards,
Jon