Re: The trouble with versions

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: The trouble with versions
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:53:19 +0200

Hello Gerald,

* Gerald I. Evenden wrote on Sat, May 23, 2009 at 05:33:43PM CEST:
> Original library was setup and installed as:
>
> libproject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 0:0:0 $(ALDFLAG) $(BLDFLAG)
>
> I added a new procedure and modified several others (without changing their
> interface).
>
> Refering to 7.3 of libtool I change the above to:
>
> libproject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:1:1 $(ALDFLAG) $(BLDFLAG)

Going from 0:0:0 straight to 1:1:1 is senseless.  If you increase
CURRENT, then in the same step you can reset REVISION to zero; see
  info Libtool "Updating version info"

Only in the next update it makes sense to bump REVISION again.

> I uninstalled the original library, did a "autoreconf -vfi", "./configure",
> and checked src/Makefile to see that 1:1:1 was still in the procedure and
> then did a "make" followed by "sudo make install" with the following results
> in /usr/local/lib:
>
> libproject.a
> libproject.la
> libproject.so
> libproject.so.0
> libproject.so.0.1.1    <--- previously 0.0.0
>
> What is going on??

Looks normal for GNU/Linux.  The point is that libtool takes the
-version-info triple, and from that computes some system-specific
version number or set of version numbers that try to match the
semantics defined in the Libtool manual, chapter "Libtool versioning".

The specific computation formula is a detail of libtool, you should
not need to care about.

Hope that helps.