Re: using C# in automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: using C# in automake
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:35:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:

 I want to create an language binding for a "C" libraray

        this mean I have as input an file called "csmsgque.cs"
        and get as output an "csmsgque.dll" on unix

It seems like what is needed is C# support in libtool. This should be discussed on the libtool list. Be aware that libtool evolves slowly so there is no "quick solution" with it. If someone contributes C# patches to libtool, then perhaps libtool would support it some number of months later, or longer, depending on how invasive and risky the patches are.

My current makefile looks like:

.dll.cs:
       mkdir .libs
       $(CSCOMP) -v -unsafe -nologo -out:./.libs/$@ -target:library $<

pkglib_LIBRARIES = csmsgque.dll

csmsgque_dll_sources = csmsgque.cs

but I get the following error

csmsgque/Makefile.am:17: `csmsgque.dll' is not a standard library name
csmsgque/Makefile.am:17: did you mean `libcsmsgque.a'?

Since Automake does not know how to build DLLs (other than via libtool), you won't be able to use pkglib_LIBRARIES for this purpose. You may still be able to work around the problem as long as you avoid using Automake reserved variable names with well defined functionality.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn