Re: KDE linking problem with automake projects

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: KDE linking problem with automake projects
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:54:55 +0200

Hello Erwin,

* Erwin Brandenberger wrote on Wed, May 27, 2009 at 09:33:49AM CEST:

> OS: Ubuntu 9.04
> IDE: KDE
>
> Project HC is Program and not a Library. Why it uses libtool ? Any help ?
>
> Making all in HC
> /bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -DRUN_UNIX -DRUN_LINUX -g
> -O2 -o HC HCApp.o HCDocument.o HCGridMDIChild.o HCImages.o HCMainWindow.o
> HCPpSimulationSheet.o HCPpSimulationSimulationPage.o
> HCPrefDirectoriesDialog.o ../../src/HCRw/libHCRw.a ../../src/HCDb/libHCDb.a
> ../../libtool: line 835: X--tag=CXX: command not found
> ../../libtool: line 868: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found

The libtool script is generated from the ltmain.sh file and some
configure tests.  These tests come from the libtool.m4 file and
some others, and are integrated into configure by the autoconf program,
typically after being added to aclocal.m4 by the aclocal program.

The error you are seeing happens when the ltmain.sh and the macros do
not come from the same Libtool version.

I do not know whether you run the libtoolize, aclocal, autoconf
etc. programs yourself or you have some IDE do it for you.  In
the former case, you need to rerun them, after letting aclocal
point to the right macro files; in the latter case, you should

Hope that helps.  It would be nice if you could post a solution
to this issue here (or on the libtool list), once you've found it,
because users come here more often to ask about this, but never to
report whether and how they got their problem solved.  And if there
is something special to be done with some IDE, then we'd like to know
about it.