Re: makes which break with `silent-rules'

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: makes which break with `silent-rules'
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 07:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

POSIX says that; however different implementations of 'make' treat
forward-references differently.

Well that's when you would put XY_V last, just to be sure:

XY_ = unknown
XY_0 = silent
XY_1 = verbose
XY_V = $(XY_$(V))

then there is no forward reference.

I wouldn't know a construct where the order of variable assignments is
treated differently by different make implementations.  Can you give an
example, Thomas?  Thanks.

not offhand (I recall running into it, but long ago stopped doing forward
references, to avoid that).

The portability issue I was speaking about was purely about variable
references $(V) within "$(" and ")".

Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net