docdir with "packages" directory

From: John Calcote
Subject: docdir with "packages" directory
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:52:39 -0600

Hi all,

Just a quick question for those who might know.

I understand that Automake generates ${docdir} as ${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE}, as per the Automake manual, section 2.2.3.

While messing around building RPM files recently, I happened to notice that most Linux distros like to put documentation files into ${datarootdir}/doc/*packages*/${PACKAGE}.

Now, I realize that you can modify the ${docdir} on both the configure and make command lines so that it contains the correct values for building a proper RPM. But I have a couple of questions:

1) Why the controversy?

2) Is there any movement within the Automake community to move toward the LSB directory structure as the default?

Thanks in advance,
John