automake error with filenames

From: Murray S. Kucherawy
Subject: automake error with filenames
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:44:48 -0700

I'm trying to get a binary to compile only if a certain "--enable-xxx" is
specified to ./configure.  There may be a filename collision that's causing
problems.  Maybe someone here can check my math.

Near the top of Makefile.am, I start with:

sbin_PROGRAMS = openfoo openfoo-util1 openfoo-util2

One of the source files for "openfoo" is a file called "stats.c".

Then I have this, checking for "--enable-stats" and adding a new binary called
"openfoo-stats" if it's there:

if STATS
sbin_PROGRAMS += openfoo-stats
openfoo_stats_SOURCES = openfoo-db.c openfoo-stats.c
endif

There are indeed two different source files in the package, one called
"openfoo-stats.c" (used by openfoo-stats) and one called "stats.c" (used by
openfoo).

Running "automake" causes this complaint:

openfoo/Makefile.am: object `openfoo-stats.$(OBJEXT)' created by
`openfoo-stats.c' and `stats.c'

I thought maybe this has to do with filename similarity.  Indeed renaming the
files, even by removing the hyphens, solves the problem.

Is this something I can mitigate without renaming files in my package?

Also, just to confirm, this is something I can safely ignore, correct?:

libfoo/Makefile.am:2: compiling `foo.c' with per-target flags requires
`AM_PROG_CC_C_O' in `configure.ac'

Adding that to my "configure.ac" as it suggests doesn't make the problem go
away.

-MSK