Re: how to install library in a specific directory?

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: how to install library in a specific directory?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:02:37 -0600

On 7/22/2009 9:15 PM, A117 wrote:
Thank you. I've decided to put the library in /usr/local/lib, while its header
files in /usr/local/include/ezproject.
It's strange though /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf (actually in another
file it includes), and I can build other programs acting much as mine, I have
difficulty with mine only. I run ldconfig manually and then it works. Now I'm
releasing my software.

ldconfig updates the library cache. the /etc/ld.so.conf file is the file used by ldconfig to determine which directories to scan for libraries. When you add a new library to one of the directories in /etc/ld.so.conf, then you need to run ldconfig to ensure that the cache is aware of that new library.

John