Re: Tests fail due to argument list too long

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Tests fail due to argument list too long
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:58:43 +0200

Hello Bob,

this was about:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/10894/focus=10898>

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 10:05:25PM CEST:
> Something surprising about the AIX 4.3.3 argument list length
> problem is that I am not seeing this problem reported anywhere else.
> Not even under MinGW and Cygwin.

I think one reason here might be that GNU make may create a batch file
under w32 in order to execute the actual command.

> Either the problem only occurs under this old AIX or else the
> problem occurs elsewhere but is not detected or reported.

What is the size of your environment on this AIX system?
How much does 'make' add to it?  Are you using GNU make or the system
one, and if the former, does the .NOEXPORT help at all, and if the
latter, does it have a similar feature?

If you control this AIX system, maybe you can increase the limit using
chdev as described on Sven's page (for AIX 5)?