How to specify a directory for INSTALL, NEWS & Co

From: Hilco Wijbenga
Subject: How to specify a directory for INSTALL, NEWS & Co
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:01:06 -0700

Hi all,

After consulting several books and going through various tutorials I
managed to set up a really clean non-recursive make: build artifacts
in 'build' and source files in 'src'. So far I've been using
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign ...]) but I would like to switch to the
default. This requires boilerplate files like INSTALL and NEWS.

project/INSTALL
project/NEWS
project/README
project/AUTHORS
project/ChangeLog
project/COPYING
project/build/Makefile.am
project/build/configure.ac
project/src/main.c++

Automake complains about missing these files because it's looking in
the current directory (build) instead of the root directory (..). I
went through the Autoconf macros but didn't find anything obviously
applicable.

How do I tell Automake to look in '..' instead of '.'?

Cheers,
Hilco