Re: Adapting existing directory structure to autotools

From: Kenneth Porter
Subject: Re: Adapting existing directory structure to autotools
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:53:56 -0700

--On Friday, September 11, 2009 9:40 PM +0200 Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

Then it's helpful to know what recursive and what nonrecursive build is,
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Alternative.html>.

I'd missed that one in my earlier reading, thanks. Looks very applicable.

--- include/Makefile.am:
# if those headers are to be installed in $includedir/include/*.h:
nobase_include_HEADERS = MyLibrary/foo.h ...

The nobase feature looks very useful.

# or even this (and then omit src/Vendor/Makefile.am):
SUBDIRS = Vendor/lib1 Vendor/lib2 Vendor/include MyLibrary MyApp

Somewhere I'd read that the subdirectory feature wouldn't jump into deeply-nested subdirectories. Good to know I don't have to "flatten" things to make this work.

For each Makefile.am, you need to list the respective Makefile in an
AC_CONFIG_FILES statement in configure.ac, and you'll need the other
standard blurb stuff there, too, of course.

This sounds much more doable now, thanks.