Re: modula-2 modules

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: modula-2 modules
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:43:19 +0200

* Martin Kalbfuß wrote on Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 08:02:54PM CEST:
> Now I try to distribute GNU Modula-2 Modules with Autotools. Modula-2
> doesn't use archived static libraries like C does. Instead the object
> files are distributed and installed with the definition modules in a
> subdirectory of the module directory. Optionally the sources are
> installed, too.
>
> When I want to create a static C library I use lib_LIBRARIES. But how to
> install the modules desribed above.
>
> I have
>
> *.mod
> *.def
>
> I want to compile

You'll need to write the rules for compilation yourself.

> *.o
>
> And install all of them.

No idea where these would belong well.  libdir would probably seem best.
automake probably forbids you to use lib_DATA, but you can work around
it with something like
  modula_exec_dir = $(libdir)
  modula_exec_DATA = foo.o ...

(the 'exec' part is to get things installed at 'make install-exec'
time.)

> And install them all in the module directory of the used gm2 compiler.
> This is the second point. Which is the best way to find a directory and
> set it as the install path for my module files?

Well, then forget my above about $(libdir) and instead find out where
your compiler looks for them.  Then use that directory, I guess.  I'd
write a configure test that tries to find out from the compiler; or
let the user supply one.

HTH.