elisp files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: elisp files
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:21:22 +0200

Hello,

forgive my ignorance on the subject: what are the (desired) semantics of
elisp files?

Currently, you trip over Automake bugs when you use lisp files in
subdirs (with or without subdir-objects):
  lisp_LISP = sub/am.el

or use nobase_:
  nobase_lisp_LISP = sub/am.el

Elias reported part of this to bug-automake in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.bugs/4772>.

Now my questions:

- is the elisp installation tree hierarchical, in that it is useful to
  have nobase_ support as above (where the files would be installed to
  $(lispdir)/sub/am.el and $(lispdir)/sub/am.elc)?

- with the first line above, should the .elc file be compiled in sub or
  in the toplevel, and should the answer to this question depend on
  whether subdir-objects are used or not?

- assuming elisp compilation generally needs to see all files in a
  directory (gathering from the elisp-comp script), do you think that
  when listing lisp files from subdirectories in lisp_LISP, would it be
  useful to assume they are independently compilable, or interdependent?

- if interdependent, is there a way I can get emacs (and any other tool
  that may serve as lisp compiler) to output .elc files in
  subdirectories?

Thanks,