Re: silent-rules

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: silent-rules
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:55:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
What work does it cause except for using --disable-silent-rules at
configure time or V=1 at make time?
Exactly this is the problem.

I still fail to understand.  What problem do you have with either
 echo export V=1 >> ~/.bashrc

or
 echo enable_silent_rules=no >> ${CONFIG_SITE-/usr/local/share/config.site}

once on your distro build daemon and be done with it?

This is still a serious question, and I haven't seen anything in your replies that answers it. Yes, it may be pushing around distro maintainers, but it's more of a gentle nudge than anything else if you ask me.

It is interesting that Ralf Corsepius is encountering issues with building distribution RPMs since building distribution RPMs is done in a very well managed and controlled environment. Sometimes it is done in a chrooted environment, or in a virtual machine created just for that task. Care is taken to ensure that user and customized system environments are not part of the build equation. The situation is far less constrained for source-based operating environments such as Gentoo and FreeBSD Ports, and definitely for end users who manually download, configure, and build. FreeBSD Ports has over 20K packages to worry about now and port maintainers are not always as active as they need to be.

Complaining alone won't change the situation, unless we also find ways to improve things. Going back isn't an option, for several reasons, so let's see how to best go forward.

Actually, complaining can indeed change the situation. I encourage anyone and everyone to complain stridently to whoever is making the decision to enable silent build by default (which is a very selfish sort of decision). With enough back-pressure from the masses, this simple boolean can be toggled to the legacy default used since the dawn of GNU. Open source is for users and the users have a right to complain to developers and maintainers.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn