Re: Non-recursive automake

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Non-recursive automake
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:34:20 +1100

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 20:09 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I complained about this perhaps five years ago since it is the most
> annoying issue related to non-recursive build.  There was some
> discussion on this list at that time but nothing was done to make
> things better.
>
> It seems that a problem is that much of the Makefile.am file is
> simply
> copied to the output Makefile.in and so these parts would need to be
> re-written rather than copied.  The good news is that perl is good at
> re-writing text.

The way I tackled this in my proof of concept in 2001 was via a
rewriting include:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-08/msg00112.html

This added a new directive 'subdir_include' which does an include but
adjusts all the paths in the make/automake rules in the included
fragment to the relative path to the included rules.

e.g. subdir_include foo/Makefile.am
would prepend 'foo' to the paths in foo/Makefile.am.

Automake's core has probably changed so much that the patch is not worth
even reading, but the concept worked tolerably well ;).

-Rob