Re: make clean is slow

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: make clean is slow
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:26:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Is there a way to make this quite a lot faster?

The LTLIBRARIES bits: yes, noted.  The PROGRAMS bits should be
reasonably fast already, only forking a constant number of times.

While clean is running, it is clear that the libraries bit is taking most of the time. My package has quite a lot of these files to remove, and the sequential nature of the removal process causes it to be rather slow.

The time to clean my package depends quite a lot on the OS:

FreeBSD:                                1.512
OS-X Leopard:                           3.575
Solaris 10:                             4.339
Linux (under Solaris VirtualBox):       4.299
MinGW:                                  6.656

For some of the OSs the time is about the same if the directory is already cleaned, while for others (e.g. OS-X) the time improves considerably if the directory is already clean.

Usually I don't care much about 'make clean' times but when I am chasing down compilation warnings I tend to do a lot of cleans.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn