Re: how to link other libraries to *my* library...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to link other libraries to *my* library...
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:53:47 +0100

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:47:47PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues writes:
> > * Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 05:14:24PM CET:
> >> The netCDF C library uses other libraries, for example the hdf5,
> >> hdf5_hl, and zlib libraries. I was building the library without
> >> explicitly linking to these other libraries, assuming that libtool would
> >> magically handle this.

> > Lemme guess.  The developer who libtoolized the package (which may be
> > that user) is on Debian or Ubuntu and its Libtool macros sets
> > link_all_deplibs=no for the GNU/Linux system the user is on?

> I was in Hamburg recently - isn't that you're stomping ground? I should
> have looked you up...

I'm about four hours south of that, but yes, one can get a good beer
here, too.  ;-)

> I am the developer who libtoolized the package, and I am a Fedora user,
> and don't know where to find the value of the link_all_deplibs macro...

./libtool --config | grep "^link_all_deplibs="

Hmm, if that wasn't your issue at all, then I'm not sure what your issue
originally was about.  How did you think the other libraries would be
added automatically?  By some indirect dependency?

Philip's comment about allowing some sort of override at configure time
is prudent in general, of course.