registering outputted files for deletion

From: Monty Taylor
Subject: registering outputted files for deletion
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:35:06 -0800

Hey all,

I'm working on a macro which needs to output a file, and I'd like for
that file to be deleted on make distclean. I'm trying to avoid
AC_CONFIG_FILE in this case because I'm trying to make the macro self
contained so that a user doesn't have a to add both the macro and a very
very small .in file to their tree. I'd also like to avoid having them
manually put a mention in DISTCLEANFILES - it's a build artifact after all.

But I can't seem to find a way to inject anything into DISTCLEANFILES
(or the equiv functionality - I don't specifically care about
DISTCLEANFILES itself)

automake has am__CONFIG_DISTCLEAN_FILES, but that doens't help. There is
 CONFIG_CLEAN_FILES, but I can't add to it (and that's the wrong place)
and CONFIG_DISTCLEAN_FILES doesn't do anything)

Is there anything I'm missing? A generic way to register a generic file
from autoconf so that automake will distclean it?

Thanks!
Monty