Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:15:57 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree that it's awkward.

autoconf & automake are the best and most powerful build tools I know.
It's not too easy to learn but luckily there is free support on
mailinglists :-)

> A simple way to avoid the warning is to do the install-data-local rule
> addition unconditionally and declare the feature rules in both
> conditions:
>
> # these rules could be in some include `featureinst.mak':
> install-data-local: myinstfeature
> if FEATURE
> myinstfeature:
>        touch $(DESTDIR)$(prefix)/feature
> else
> myinstfeature:
> endif

ohh that easy it is?
For some reason I never had this idea... mmm...

Thanks a lot!

> I've only tested that with current Automake now, though, but I think it
> should work with older.

I tested with 1.6.3 and found it working :)

> BTW, you should really update to a newer Automake version.

I'm afraid that this won't be that easy:
./automake-1.11.1 # ./configure
Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at -e line 1.
configure: error: perl 5.6 or better is required; perl 5.8.2 or better
is recommended.

:-)

well and I'm afraid our Makefile.am could not work with recent
automake versions because we used invalid constructions (because
of not knowing it better or obsolete but still active
automake-1.4 workarounds). At least we have issues with recent
autoconfs (I mean, the issues are with our scripts of course but
now get spotted).

Ohh, and automake-1.6.3 is much faster that 1.11, right? :-)

> We've recently fixed a security-related issue in the 'dist' and
> 'distcheck' rules, that is present in all older Automake versions.

ohh yes, this is a nasty one...
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

oki,

Steffen