Shared Libraries

From: Philip Herron
Subject: Shared Libraries
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:33:47 +0000

Hey guys,

I've been reading through the manual a few times but i cant seem to
find what i am looking for. Recently i now need to make some full
shared libraries not just '-module' for dlopen which is what i was
doing before for some modules/plugins. But now i want a full shared
library for client applications to link against. So an automake
snippet for what i am doing now is:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libcrules.la

libcrules_la_CFLAGS = -DCRULES -DSHARED
libcrules_la_LDFLAGS = -release 0.5.0
libcrules_la_SOURCES = ss_parser.y \
ss_lexer.l \
ss_eval.c \
bb_backend.c \
builtin_call_table.c \

So this creates my shared library when i do ``make install''. But i am
not sure how a client application can link against this, is there a
way to create a .pc for pkg-config or do I have to link directly of
this as in ``gcc -o ... /usr/local/lib/libcrules.so''. Btw i am using
libtool and using -release with a bad version string, i just stuck in
0.5.0 just to test it.

I am fairly certain this is a trivial problem but i cant seem to find
this in the manual.

Thanks anyways.

--Phil