AIX shared libraries, make install misses them

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:56:01 +0000

We have been working on getting the Ganglia tarball to work out of the box for AIX

The tarball is bootstrapped using autotools on Debian 5.

When Michael does `make install', the *.so files for our modules are not installed. Instead, he sees output like this from `make install':

/opt/freeware/bin/bash ../../../libtool   --mode=install
../../../build/install-sh -c  'modcpu.la' '/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la'
../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.a /var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.a
../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.lai /var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la
Libraries have been installed in:
  /var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
  - add LIBDIR to the `LIBPATH' environment variable
    during execution
  - use the
`-Wl,-blibpath:LIBDIR:/opt/freeware/lib:/usr/vac/lib:/usr/lib/threads:/usr/lib:/lib
 ' linker flag

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

I've looked at the file gmond/modules/cpu/.libs/modcpu.la on AIX:

dlname='modcpu.so'
library_names='modcpu.a modcpu.a'
old_library=''

and when I run make && make install on Linux (a RHEL4 box), gmond/modules/cpu/.libs/modcpu.la has:

dlname='modcpu.so'
library_names='modcpu.so modcpu.so modcpu.so'
old_library='modcpu.a'

Finally, Michael reports that if he bootstraps again with his own autoconf, make install does work.

Here is Michael's autotools versions:

autoconf-2.64-1
automake-1.11.1-1
libtool-1.5.26-1
libtool-ltdl-1.5.26-1
libtool-ltdl-devel-1.5.26-1
m4-1.4.13-1

And here are the versions on Debian 5 (used for bootstrapping the release tarball):

autoconf 2.61-8
automake 1:1.10.1-3
libtool 1.5.26-4
m4 1.4.11-1

Is there any way we can get this working using the existing autotools version?