Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:22:56 +0100

Hello Daniel,

* Daniel Pocock wrote on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:21:24PM CET:
> >We have been working on getting the Ganglia tarball to work out of
> >the box for AIX

> >When Michael does `make install', the *.so files for our modules
> >are not installed.  Instead, he sees output like this from `make
> >install':

> >/opt/freeware/bin/bash ../../../libtool   --mode=install
> >../../../build/install-sh -c  'modcpu.la'
> >'/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la'
> >../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.a
> >/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.a
> >../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.lai
> >/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la

> >I've looked at the file gmond/modules/cpu/.libs/modcpu.la on AIX:

> >dlname='modcpu.so'
> >library_names='modcpu.a modcpu.a'
> >old_library=''

Is that without or with runtimelinking enabled (LDFLAGS=-Wl,-brtl passed
to configure)?  If without, then libtool puts the modcpu.so file into
the modcpu.a archive (the way AIX does with its system modules as well)
and that is to be expected.

With runtimelinking, the .so file should be a separate file.

BTW, you didn't specify any bug or misbehavior that you see, so maybe
everything else works as expected?

> >Finally, Michael reports that if he bootstraps again with his own
> >autoconf, make install does work.
> >
> >Here is Michael's autotools versions:
> >
> >autoconf-2.64-1
> >automake-1.11.1-1
> >libtool-1.5.26-1
> >libtool-ltdl-1.5.26-1
> >libtool-ltdl-devel-1.5.26-1
> >m4-1.4.13-1
> >
> >And here are the versions on Debian 5 (used for bootstrapping the
> >release tarball):
> >
> >autoconf 2.61-8
> >automake 1:1.10.1-3
> >libtool 1.5.26-4
> >m4 1.4.11-1
> >
> >Is there any way we can get this working using the existing
> >autotools version?

Well, I really don't know the differences between libtool-1.5.26-1 and
libtool 1.5.26-4 (this really all is a libtool issue, not an Automake
one), but if there were bugs in either, I'd first ask you to retry with
2.2.6b anyway.

> Another problem I have just discovered, on Cygwin, I have to patch
> libtool, adding the line
>
> echo="echo"
>
> otherwise I get lot's of errors along the lines of "Xgcc command not found"

This is a pretty sure sign that you have mixed up macros from one
Libtool version with a ltmain.sh file from another Libtool version.
Perchance your aclocal.m4 or acinclude.m4 files contain old Libtool
macro definitions?