Re: silent installs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:34:17 +0100

Hello,

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:05:07AM CET:

> Is there a reason why the install target doesn't respect make -s?
>
> I would really like to see autotools and libtool respect make -s.
> When a developer asks for a silent build in order to catch problems
> all one should see is real warnings and problems.

Just to address a few of the questions, suggestions, and inaccuracies
mentioned in this thread.

First off, `make -s' is both POSIX and portable.  Conceptually, `make
-s' has nothing to do with the `silent-rules' option that recent
Automakes provide.  The difference between `make -s' and
  make >/dev/null

is that standard output from invoked commands and the one-line note
about invoking make in a subdirectory is not filtered.

For a long time (long long before silent-rules came along), some of the
more complex rules generated by Automake would mostly operate silently,
then echo part of their commands before executing them.  Examples are
most rules updated at `make install' time, the .texi.info rule, and
others which are fairly complex.  This is mostly helpful to users, as
the exact install rules are hard to read; `make -n install' can let you
appreciate all the ugliness.

With these rules, automake follows a rough rule that it outputs the
"interesting" command in a single line, with one space preceding it.
So, one way to avoid seeing this stuff would be, e.g.,
  make -s install | grep -v '^ [^ ]'

If you additionally would like to not see output from libtool, pass
  LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent

to make as well, or set it in your environment.  Any remaining
non-warning output from libtool (or warning output that shouldn't be
warnings but notes) would be a bug you should report to bug-libtool.
Thanks.

There is another angle in this story.  Enter the silent-rules option.
It currently allows to enable silencing of libtool (yes, silent-rules
will pass --silent as flag to libtool), of most compile, and link rules.
It doesn't address make install/uninstall rules yet.  I don't mind going
that way; the primary reason not more rules exploited a silent mode for
1.11 was that we didn't want to delay the release further, and that
compile rules were what bothered users most.  Most install rules aren't
that verbose anyway.

Patches to this end are welcome, under the usual side conditions:
non-trivial patches need copyright assignment, all new behavior needs
full testsuite exposure, and so on.  I might work on this eventually.

Thanks,
Ralf

PS: And yes, 1.11.2 without silent-rules mode will return to have the
exact output from before 1.11 (without the ugly additional empty line),
we got that small regression fixed now.