Re: silent installs

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:47:48 +0100

* John Calcote wrote on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:22 -0700:
> On 1/29/2010 10:17 AM, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> >Why do passenger train windows have curtains?
>
> Okay - I can't help it! I bet the engineer's windows don't have
> curtains.

:-)

I think we have to accept that there are different requirements
and use cases. For example some teams may have a few build-stuff
maintainers but many developers and don't change build rules
often - so in 95% of the builds done for 90% of the people it
does not matter what the building does; only whether make check
returns success matters. They may want to have a clean `make -s
distcheck' output. Best might be module name and two progress
bars while building and a big red (screen filling) error message in
case anything fails (then, someone can check without using `-s').

In the team I work in it is common to let *conf* run in the
background, because most people do not look boooooring output for
15-45 Minutes quickly scrolling through (happens when version
numbers were increased, forcing rebuild of many files of course).

Others may deal with integrating packages almost all the day,
they are focused to the building and may be used to work and
almost any problem they met while doing so is related to
building, and thus they always want to see the output.

So I think whether to pass `-s' to make is up to the user who
calls it. If `-s' is passed, I think it is obvious that make
install shouldn't tell much (anything). For those who dislike it
this is no problem: just do not pass `-s' :-)

oki,

Steffen