Re: silent installs

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:03:29 +0100

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> * Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote on 2010/01/30 00:34:17:
> > First off, `make -s' is both POSIX and portable.
> > Conceptually, `make -s' has nothing to do with the
> > `silent-rules' option that recent
>
> Exactly, and I am asking for autotools/libtool not to output
> anything that isn't a real warning/error when when -s is passed to make.
> After all, it is custom that stderr is reserved for errors/warnings only.

BTW, isn't it even common to not print debug / trace / notice
messages /at all/ by default?

I thought there was some "be quite on execution but verbose on
error" principle, but with google I cannot find it anymore...

I think make is an exception here. Many tools don't tell anything
in positive case (gcc, ld, install...).

BTW, is there a way (except -n) to make GNU Make show
commands starting with '@'? Not even make -d shows them, which
IMHO is not very convenient...

oki,

Steffen