Re: Installing Perl modules in @INC

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Installing Perl modules in @INC
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:40:16 +0100

Hello Youssef,

* Youssef Eldakar wrote on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:28:45PM CET:
> I have a package that uses Perl modules that I would like installed
> in @INC, e.g., in /usr/share/perl5. Searching through the Automake
> list archives, the most relevant thread I was able to locate was:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/automake/2003-05/msg00069.html
>
> However, the solution suggested therein spoke of using Stow, while I
> wish to stick to an Autotools-only setup, where the Perl modules are
> installed in @INC. I suppose hard-coding perllibdir =
> $(pkgdatadir)/perl5 would not really be a good idea, or would it?

That's better than nothing, as it can still be overridden at `make' run
time.  The next better thing to do would be to offer an override at
`configure' time, something like (untested)

  AC_ARG_ENABLE([perllibdir],
                [AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-perllibdir=DIR],
                                [perl module install directory
($(pkgdatadir)/perl)])],
                [perllibdir=$enableval],
                [perlllibdir='$(pkgdatadir)/perl'])