Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:56:07 +0100

Hello Sylvestre,

* Sylvestre Ledru wrote on Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:49:38PM CET:
> Le mercredi 03 février 2010 à 11:27 -0500, Peter Johansson a écrit :
> > > I cannot change top_builddir by top_srcdir since I need both the data
> > > and script to be available in the build tree.
> >
> > Are myscript and myData.sci distributed or built?
> > Why do you need them in the build tree?
> Both, I need them at building time: myscript calls the binaries to
> transform the myData.sci to myData.bin.
> And they are both needed for my application at runtime.

Can you let your script use $srcdir/myData.sci instead of myData.sci?

Typically, there are two ways to get out of the VPATH problem: either
prefix all paths in your tools with the right ones, (this can usually be
done more elegantly if the tool has some -I<dir> flag to amend its search
path, like a preprocessor), or copy all files to the build tree
somewhere.  If you decide to do the latter, then please use a different
name from the file name in the source tree (or a different relative
directory), so that `make' rebuilding rules will not be messed up later
by looking at the copied file.

E.g.:

data-in-build-tree: data-in-source-tree
        cp $(srcdir)/data-in-source-tree data-in-build-tree

Hope that helps.