Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:15:52 +0100

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
 [...]
> data-in-build-tree: data-in-source-tree
>        cp $(srcdir)/data-in-source-tree data-in-build-tree

We typically write something like:

# file /must/ be in current dir (builddir) for proprietary tool:
__heap.o: lib/__dfl_heap.o
        cp -f $< $@

Make finds $(srcdir)/lib/__dfl_heap.o via VPATH, if any, and
sets `$<' accordingly
  (of course this won't work if in the above example the
  filenames (including path parts, if any) of data-in-source-tree
  and data-in-build-tree and exactly the same).

I case this is portable (is it?) I think it could be a touch better?

oki,

Steffen