Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: How to handle data/script files in a VPATH build ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:01:34 +0100

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Sylvestre Ledru
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm, I have more than 7000 data files and their names are relevant :/
> (Like in java with the name of the object which matches the filename)
>
> It is going to be tricky to handle on such number of files ...

To manage them, you now probably have some criteria they have in
common. Maybe there is a list or all  are in a specific subdirectory
or in a ZIP, allowing you to iterate the list, copy the directory or
unzip it?
For Java, sometimes a source code generation tool (small perl script
or so) can be of great help, especially for defining many specific
Exception (and keeping it DRY :)).

In some modules we have some hundred files which are imported from
another source. During the import we create some filelist.mak:

module=xyz
_mak=${module}.mak
echo "# Autogenerated by $0"  > ${_mak}
echo "${module}files = \\"         >> ${_mak}
find directoty1 directory2 directory3 -type f \
   -not -path '*/CVS*' \
   -not -path '*/*.sw?' \
   -exec echo "{} \\" \; \
                  | sort    >> ${_mak}
echo "${_mak}"              >> ${_mak}

Also find and friends could be used in Makefile rules but we made less
good experiences with it; at least errors can be hard to find because
may turn out much later and it feels "less defined" I think.

just in the hope to possibly give some inspiration.

oki,

Steffen